Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Somewhere Over The Rainbow




Critics have gone back and forth about Tyler Perry's bringing his version of Ntozake Shange's seminal work For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf to the big screen. Perry, whose films have broad appeal but are often critiqued for having flat characters and story lines and low production values, is taking a stab at a play that is considered high art. Executive produced by Perry and Nzingha Stewart, For Colored Girls will be out in theaters on November 5. The movie features Whoopi Goldberg, Kerry Washington, Loretta Devine, Anika Noni Rose, Thandie Newton, Kimberly Elise and Phylicia Rashad. Janet Jackson and Macy Gray round out the cast.

Perry released a letter to his fans and critics alike yesterday.

We are only a little more than 3 weeks out from FOR COLORED GIRLS, which
opens on November 5th. Wow, time is flying! I wanted to talk to you for
just a second about this film. There has been a lot of Internet chatter
about me doing this film. I've heard everything from, "I'm glad he's doing
it!", to "How dare he touch this!". Believe me, I know that this is
sensitive material and I handled it that way. If you don't believe me see
for yourself on November 5th.

If you know anything about the book or play, FOR COLORED GIRLS WHO HAVE
CONSIDERED SUICIDE WHEN THE RAINBOW IS ENUF, which is what my film is
based on, then you know that it is one of the most powerful literary works
of this century. But, if you know it, you are also thinking like I was,
"How can I make this into a movie?"

After reading the play a thousand times and listening to these poems a
million times, it hit me. There was only one way to approach it. So what
I did was, I put these characters in the situations around the poems, so
that they could speak the dialogue of the book without it sounding like a
poem. And I have to tell you, I wasn't sure that it could be done. But,
after listening to Phylicia Rashad, Thandie Newton, Kerry Washington, Macy
Gray, Kimberly Elise, Tessa Thompson, Whoopi Goldberg, Loretta Devine,
Anika Noni Rose and Janet Jackson say these words it was awesomely
seemless.

The stories are about eight women who live in NYC and we follow them
through their lives; follow them through loving, losing, giving too much
of themselves, being hurt and betrayed, but most of all, we follow each of
these women as they find love for themselves.

This movie is powerful. It is incredible. The performances in it are
astonishing, but most of all this film will leave you lifted.

I don't know if you know this either, but never in the history of a
feature film has there been an ensemble of this many black women. That
alone is worth celebrating. I hope you are planning to see it on November
5th.

By the way, you don't have to be a colored girl to be able to relate to
and enjoy this movie.

"For Colored Girls . . ." happens to be one of the most amazing literary pieces that i've ever read and seen performed live. As many times as I can catch it on stage, I see it. I am beyond excited about the movie and I have faith that Tyler and his team have produced a phenomenal project.

Check back for news on a moderated discussion, led by me, on FCG and tickets to the Atlanta sneak peek.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment