Saturday, June 19, 2010

Socially Southern: Highlands, NC






Happy Monday People! I hope that this post finds you all sitting on the edge of your seats awaiting the latest update, as you haven't heard from me since last Monday. (Sorry!) The past week was one full of deadlines, projects and, frankly, sheer madness!

So, as the social scientist, I always have a remedy up my sleeve to soothe my social angst! I took a mid-week vacay two hours from Atlanta in Highlands, NC and I must say, it was Southern Charm at its best.

The town is dotted with many antique dealers, a well-known auction house, several nationally celebrated restaurants, shops, inns and other staple landmarks that are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

My trip originated with me going to view the opening night performance of Leiber and Stoller's "Smokey Joe's Cafe" at the Highlands Playhouse. The show features a phenomenal cast, including Atlanta's own, Victor Jackson.

After witnessing the timeless Broadway production in which classic rock n' roll music is transformed into musical theatre, I attended the opening night reception and met many of the affluent and well-traveled citizens of the city.

In the next forty-eight hours the Highlands experience included a garden lunch in The Wine Garden at the Conde' Nast Recommended, Old Edwards Inn and Spa, Main Street Shopping and a cocktail party with the cast of "Smokey Joe's."

I highly recommend a quick getaway to the beautiful mountains of Highlands, NC for anyone that loves the simple yet chic style of Southern living. If you get a chance to make it up before July 3, check out Smokey Joe's Cafe and tell them I sent you! You'll be in great hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment